ANSWER KEY 1. Forged an early, historic agreement on grape pricing that tied the price of grapes to retail bottle price: Andy Beckstoffer Janzen was one of the first wineries to source from Beckstoffer's To Kalon and Missouri Hopper
2. Pioneered Burgundy vinification process that includes destemming and cold soak that created a more approachable style. Henri Jayer Philippe Cheron's winemaking approach is modeled after Henri Jayer
3. Developed one of California’s most successful chardonnay clones from cuttings from the University of Montpellier in France. Ernest Wente Black Kite, Deovlet and Dunstan each produce chardonnays from the Wente clone.
4. Napa Valley’s first Euro-American permanent settler, who planted some of Napa’s first vines. George C Yount Lost and Found's red blend is made from vines planted in 1890s—not long after George Yount's pioneering days.
5. Vietnam vet who planted Sta Rita Hills first vineyard in 1971. Richard Sanford Ryan Deovlet's Sanford & Benedict Chardonnay comes from vines originally planted by Sanford in 1973.
6. Lead actor in 2004 movie that championed the virtues of Pinot Noir, dramatically shifting consumer tastes. Paul Giamatti Many of our producers' Pinot Noir vineyards were planted well before Sideways, including Porter Creek (early 1980s), Black Kite Kite's Rest ( 1999) and Gaps Crown (2002); Sanford & Benedict (1973) and La Encantada (2000) (Deovlet).
7. Made the 1969 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon, considered one of the best Napa Cabernets ever produced. Philip Togni Philip Togni's wines are a 'must-have' on any serious representation of Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
8. French statesman and military leader instrumental in planting French varietals in conquered lands, many which remain. Napoleon Bonaparte In addition to its indigenous Friulan varietal wines, Angoris's Villa Locatelli makes a delightful Cabernet Franc which thrives in Isonzo's gravelly soils.
9. Occultist philosopher and founder of "anthroposophic agriculture", later known as "biodynamic". Rudolf Steiner Porter Creek, Vincent Gaudry, Mathieu Cosme and Chateau Passavant farm biodynamically.